- iSpindel 4.0 PCB. Please use this link to register with PCBWay.com to get a $5 discount and give me a referral. The printed circuit board can be purchased here. Unboxing video found here.
- Wemos D1 Mini with Deep Sleep. Amazon link. eBay link.
- DS18B20 Temperature Sensor. Amazon link. eBay link.
- BAT43 Diode. Amazon link. eBay link.
- 4.7K ohm resistor. Amazon link. eBay link.
- 220K ohm resistor. Amazon link. eBay link.
- 10K ohm resistor. Amazon link. eBay link.
- TP4056 USB C – 6 pin. Amazon link. eBay link.
- GY521 MPU-6050 Module 3 Axis Gyroscope. Amazon link. eBay link.
- Toggle Switch. Amazon link. eBay link.
- Keystone 18650 Battery Holder with PCB Mount. Amazon link. eBay link.
- 3.7V 3400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery. Amazon link. eBay link.
- Please note that I have not fully tested my batteries so I cannot recommend one battery over another. Please buy batteries at your own risk!
- 5 XL BIG PET Soda Bottle Container. 5 pcs eBay link.
- Soldering Iron Kits with solder and clippers. Amazon link.
I mistakenly bought surface mounting battery holders instead of PCB mounting battery holders. These were much harder to mount and caused issues with the assembled circuit board fitting in the housing. Make sure you get PCB mounted battery holders if you are using CherryPhilip PCB v4.0!
Why People Remove the Diode on the D1 Mini
If you don’t remove the diode from the D1 mini you could end up in trouble. When you plug in the D1 mini you are also sending 5 volts to the D1 mini’s VCC which is attached to the battery. That battery isn’t meant to handle 5 volts so this a bad thing and if left unchecked could start a fire. Powering the battery with 5 volts can only happen: 1) if the battery is present and 2) if the power switch for the iSpindel is at the on position, and 3) if the diode still exists on the D1. It looks like the solution is to remove the D1 mini’s diode and then the battery can’t get overloaded. The only ‘downside’ is that you’ll need a fully charged battery present before you flash the D1 mini’s firmware via USB cable. I sincerely recommend removing the D1 mini’s diode as a safety precaution. I will update my assembly instructions to include the removal of the D1 mini’s diode in the future.
Soldering the Gyroscope
It’s better to assemble the gyroscope elevated as shown above as it allows minor adjustments later.