- (Affiliate Links Below)
- The Jeffrey PCB version 2.69. Please use this link to register with PCBWay.com to get a $5 discount and give me a referral.
- Wemos D1 Mini with Deep Sleep. Amazon link. eBay link.
- DS18B20 Temperature Sensor. Amazon link. eBay link.
- BAT43 Diode. Amazon link. eBay link.
- 4.7K ohm resistor. Amazon link. eBay link.
- 220K ohm resistor. Amazon link. eBay link.
- TP4056 USB C – 6 pin. Amazon link. eBay link. Micro USB – 6 pin. Amazon link. eBay link.
- GY521 MPU-6050 Module 3 Axis Gyroscope. Amazon link. eBay link.
- Toggle Switch. Amazon link. eBay link.
- Surface Mounted 18650 Battery Holder. Amazon link. eBay link.
- 3.7V 3400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery. Amazon link. eBay link.
- Please note that I use a 48 gram NCR18650B 3400 mAh battery. I get about 3 weeks of battery life and I can get to about 25 degrees in pure water when installed at the lowest position.
- XL BIG PET Soda Bottle Container. 5 pcs eBay link.
- Soldering Iron Kits with solder and clippers. Amazon link.
Why People Remove the Diode on the D1 Mini
If you don’t remove the diode from the D1 mini you could end up in trouble. When you plug in the D1 mini you are also sending 5 volts to the D1 mini’s VCC which is attached to the battery. That battery isn’t meant to handle 5 volts so this a bad thing and if left unchecked could start a fire. Powering the battery with 5 volts can only happen: 1) if the battery is present and 2) if the power switch for the iSpindel is at the on position, and 3) if the diode still exists on the D1. It looks like the solution is to remove the D1 mini’s diode and then the battery can’t get overloaded. The only ‘downside’ is that you’ll need a fully charged battery present before you flash the D1 mini’s firmware via USB cable. I sincerely recommend removing the D1 mini’s diode as a safety precaution. I will update my assembly instructions to include the removal of the D1 mini’s diode in the future.
IZOKEE D1 Mini
The diode on the Wemos D1 mini v3 in the red square above. It is labeled “SL”. In some cases, the label may be different or the diode may be in a different spot depending on the versions of the board.
I’ve been told that the USB side should be installed slightly elevated when using IZOKEE D1 Mini since the USB sits directly on The Jeffrey PCB if you don’t install the USB slightly elevated you will not be able to plug in the USB after assembly. I would recommend flashing the IZOKEE D1 Mini before assembly to try and sidestep this issue but I would recommend installing the USB side of the IZOKEE slightly elevated in case you need access to the USB port after assembly. Once the iSpindel is fully assembled and flashed you can update the firmware ‘over the air’.